Wednesday, January 14, 2009

another family traditon

For as long as I have been around and before my family has done a yearly Christmas picture. Every year we were dressed in our best, or what we thought was our best and we'd venture to a park, the mall or some other pretty place to have our picture taken. As you can imagine, getting 5 kids to cooperate did not always go well, especially when your dad was making you sit in Santa's sleigh in the middle of the mall. After the picture was taken there were painful days of stuffing, licking and stamping 1500 envelopes. Yes, 1500. My dad sent one to ALL his clients and friends. Unfortunetly he is a very friendly guy and has friends at the car wash, cleaners and many eating establishments. In high school it wasn't too fun to walk into a store and find your families photo hanging on the wall. I guess that is what you get when your parents have lived in the same town for 37 years. Anyway, the point of me telling you all this is to let you know how thankful I am that my parents kept this tradition going on. What memories it brings back to look at 39 years of christmas cards. We have years where we are dropping off a missionary at the airport and then the years where we are picking them up. We have weddings and new babies. We have some really trendy hairstyles and jeans that hopefully never come back in style! This year, due to the circumstances we are a little late getting the card out! We actually tried to talk my dad into skipping 2008. After discussion we decided this was not the year to miss, the year we almost lost him. Besides, he INSISTED like always and the yearly card is on it's way! Tomorrow I will do my share of stuffing, licking and stamping. Thanks to Minette, Sunny and Anna our picture this year was successful and not too tramatic . Thanks for the memories mom and dad!!

What's the saying "all because two people fell in love".....well, here is the product of that!



An added insert with the card this year is a poem Aubrey wrote for her grandpa for Christmas. Grandpa loved it and wanted it put in with the picture so that people would know what went on with us this year! Sing it to the tune of Rudolph...."You know Dasher and Dancer....

You know
Jacob & Hanna & Aubrey & Jane
Conrad & Noah & Avery & Nick
Ruby & Addie & sweet baby Ava..
But do you recall??
the most famous State Farm Agent of all...
Stephen the State Farm Agent
had a stroke on March 13th
and if you ever see him
tell him he is getting lean.
He went from the hospital
to East Campus Care Center.
Now he's back at home
and he's looking much better.
Then one sunny June morning
Vivian was born.
Now there are 12 grandchildren,
can we expect some more???
O....Stephen the State Farm agent
is doing very well.
Thank you for your support.
We think you're really swell!

8 comments:

rebecca said...

I actually remember seeing a huge stack of Christmas cards to be licked, stamped, and sent out at your house one Christmas. I've never seen so many!
This is an awesome photo. Tell your family hi from me.

Angi said...

That's a great tradition! I'm gonna make Ben read this post since he cries like a baby every time I even suggest we try to take a family picture. Tell Aubs that I loved her poem! What a creative little stinker!

shayla said...

I remember receiving these a LONG time ago before I even knew you when my dad was a client at the agency. You all look so wonderful...your mom looks so put together and amazing & it's great to see your dad on the mend and so happy! I love the poem too-what a great tradition for your family.

Sue said...

That is such a great picture of your family! Your Dad looks wonderful. We loved hearing Aubs sing her song... very sweet and so creative!!

Lytles said...

Great picture! I love the color and everyone looks great!

SL&G said...

What a great family picture and even better the tradition! Love the poem song. SO cute!

Candice Carter said...

Your family Christmas card is what I look forward to see every year... I so glad that your dad is doing so well! Take care!

Amie said...

That's a great tradition and awesome poem! Good job Aubs!